Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Beritwaltz

This past weekend was a gig-free weekend, which is nice every once in a while. My wife and I had a great time celebrating our anniversary. Last Wednesday I played at the Milwaukee Farmer's Market. It was an enjoyable way to spend a weekday morning, even though it was a grey, drizzly day.

So, I've recently been revisiting a tune that I started learning back in the Spring on the dulcimer. It's a musette composed by jazz accordianist, Richard Galliano, entitled "Beritwaltz". For those who aren't familiar, a musette is a sort of French cafe melody, usually in waltz time, usually with three parts. I think (feel free to correct me) that the first and second parts are typically minor, and then the third part jumps gleefully into a major key. Anyway, this tune in particular is exciting because it slips in and out of 6/8 and 3/4 time signatures rather effortlessly creating a cool poly-rhythmic illusion. Those who know I grew up playing drums can imagine why this appeals to me. I've always been a big fan of odd time signatures and creative ways to play with time. This also explains my love for Les Aires Tordus Quebecois.

In other news, I'll be guest hosting a Celtic music radio show with Jonathan Whitall on WHPK radio, Sunday 10/23 at 9PM. It's 88.5 FM if you happen to be within blocks of the Hyde Park neighborhood in Chicago (not much in the wattage dept. from what I understand). Should be a good time, spinning some rare stuff from Quebec and more.

I will be sending out a show update on my email list soon. Hope to see you all soon!!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home